- Houses Available
- Moving to Ireland?
- Arrange a viewing
The Ring of Kerry (or Iveragh Peninsula to give it its correct name) is part of the mystical & unspoilt region of Ireland that has attracted visitors for hundreds of years. Its spectacular beauty is beyond question and it is a natural centre for outdoor pursuits including golf, watersports, cycling, walking,Don't let t'riding and the very best fishing in freshwater rivers for salmon & trout and at sea for bass, ray, pollack, conger eel, cod, flounder, wrasse, mullet, mackerel and tuna.
The Ring of Kerry has some of the finest beaches (See Rossbeigh in the Ross-Maine area) in Europe that provide all the facilities for a traditional seaside holiday. Above all the Ring of Kerry provides an amazing insight into the ancient heritage of Ireland - see the Iron Age Forts & Ogham Stones, Old Monasteries and a landscape carved out of rock by the last Ice Age 10,000 years ago. Visitors to Ireland should not miss a trip to the beautiful Ring of Kerry.
This beautiful attraction will just be a short drive away from you if you choose to purchase one of these beautiful houses for sale here.
Below is a ring of kerry map, which will give you a general idea of the grandure of the ring.
The pass through the MacGillycuddy Reeks is magical - take a jaunting car, walk, cycle or jog right through to the Black Valley. A day trip from Killarney through the gap and returning by boat through the lakes of Killarney and back to Ross Castle is available
Originally a coaching inn, this welcoming cottage is the starting point for those jaunting through the gap.
Located on the Ring of Kerry just before Glenbeigh, this is a unique rural attraction; the village is made up of six dwellings with thatch roofing, restored to their original setting.
The scenic beach in Glenbeigh, with 8km of golden sand and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains is Kerry's most popular. The west side of Rossbeigh facing the Atlantic ocean is perfect for surfing or windsurfing, whilst the east side is protected somewhat from the Atlantics breezes - great for beach games, canoeing and learning how to windsurf.
Once an old RIC Barracks, burnt down in 1922 now restored to its former glory, as part of a Community project. The Barracks is an interpretive centre for the area.
Accessible from the bridge at the town of Portmagee, the island features a slate quarry with a huge natural grotto, tropical vegetation and magnificent seascapes to view.
Located near Castlecove just off the Ring of Kerry, a circular stone fort, with a single doorway entrance and stairway as high as the wall, built during the Iron Age this fort is around 2,500 years old. It is an excellent example of dry masonry and shows remarkable sophistication in design and workmanship.
The lace making industry in Kenmare (one of Irelands heritage towns) originated in the the 'Little famine years' of the 1860s. The Poor Clare nuns taught lace making to the women of the area, thus giving them a skill enabling them and their families to survive in hard times. This unique lace is still made in Kenmare today.
Located amongst the long and winding road between Kenmare and Killarney, perfect for viewing the famous MacGillycuddy's Reeks and surrounding lakes on the many Jaunting cars on offer.
Approximately 16 km from the town of Killarney, displays panoramic views of the three lakes and primary mountains.
7km from Killarney town, this waterfall is 60 ft high with surrounding trees, with views of the Lake area on the way up to the waterfall.
Muckross House, Gardens and Traditional Farms- A Magnificent Victorian mansion and leading stately home. The rooms are elegantly furnished reflecting the lifestyle of the period. The gardens portray unblemished beauty. There are three separate working farms with a selection of poultry, Kerry cattle and traditional farm machinery. The farms are in working use where you can observe the daily routine of the many craftsmen with their specialised trade.
As you journey from Muckross House to Killarney turn right just before Molly Darcy's pub - here you will find one of the Killarney's best kept secrets - the Blue Pool Nature Reserve - here the local wildlife has made its home - see Kingfishers feasting on trout - Badger trails - and much more. The reserve has special trails for the blind.
The gateway to the Lakes of Killarney, now fully furnished its open to the public. If you are staying in Killarney, the Ross Peninsula is a perfect distance for walkers and joggers - around 5 Kilometres (3 miles) round the peninsula and back to town.
From Ross Castle you can take a boat around the lake or walk the many footpaths to see the flora and fauna unique to the area. Just sit and enjoy the peace, watch children feeding the swans and take in the beauty that has made Killarney so famous.
Ogham was the earliest system of writing to appear in Ireland. The language used was an early form of Irish but was script based on the Roman alphabet. The letters represented by sets of strokes cut across or on either side of a vertical stem line formed by the edge or corner of a standing stone. There is a very good example of these stones between Beaufort village and the Gap of Dunloe on the left hand side.
Associated with the Bronze Age, a stone circle consists of five or more standing stones, which enclose a flat piece of ground. The small stone circle found in Lissivigeen near Killarney town. These stones are known locally as the seven sisters, while the outlying stones are known as "pipers" or "musicians". The stones were probably erected for ritual or ceremonial use.
Building of the church commenced in 1842 on the church but was interrupted in 1848 as a result of the famine and didn't resume again until five years later. The cathedral was consecrated in 1855 but was not finally completed until 1912 when the tower and spire were added. St. Mary's is a cruciform church with a nave and aisles, two large transepts and a central tower crowned with a spire, with simple rose windows. The church is a fine example of late nineteenth century Gothic architecture.
Muckross Abbey - Founded in the 15th Century this Franciscan friary is preserved to a high standard, it was built of local limestone. The tower, added after the church was built is the only Franciscan tower in Ireland which is as wide as the church.
Built in 1860 it is situated in Fair hill in Killarney town. It holds similar style to Muckross Abbey with a unique piece of stained glass at the entrance.
- Built as an 18th century reconstruction of an earlier church. Located on the Kenmare to Killarney road.
Built in memory of the late Daniel O'Connell "The Liberator". The church can be found in the town of Caherciveen. The materials used were black limestone found locally and Newry granite.
Located 1.2km from Killarney town, this well is reputed to have special healing powers.
The church of the Transfiguration built in 1810, displays a salmon as a weather clock, the cemetery is a burial ground for a former Irish president- Cearbhaill O'Dalaigh.
Skellig Michael - is a large jagged rock, which hoists itself dramatically out of the Atlantic 8 miles off the coast of Kerry. There is a flight of steps leading to the remains of the monastic settlement, which occupy a series of terraces, enclosed in drystone walls on a narrow shelf of rock nearly 600 feet above the sea, the enclosure also contains the ruins of St. Michaels church.
Located at Skellig Michael, these corbel-roofed cells are round in the outside and square in the inside. One of the clochans has a cross of white quartz stones built onto the wall above the door.
Usually inscribed with a cross, the erection of these stones was an Irish tradition. These stones often marked the grave of the founder of the monastery and in some cases they were old pagan standing stones converted to Christian usage.