- Houses Available
- Moving to Ireland?
- Arrange a viewing
Killorglin (Irish: Cill Orglan) is a town in County Kerry, Ireland. It is located on the river Laune, which has a rowing club and a new boathouse. The population of Killorglin is 1,539 (CSO 2000) although this expands considerably during Puck Fair due to visitors and returning emigrants.
Killorglin is a major activity centre for Kerry and has a number of tourist hostels on Dromin Hill and also has one of the last inn chains started by Charles Bianconi. It is right in the centre of the town, called the Bianconi and features his famous transportation painted on the sign and on the inn. The town hall is held to have been built with the help of Andrew Carnegie. Among the businesses in Killorglin is FEXCO, which includes the operations center for the Prize Bond Company. Pharmaceutical firms such as Temmler and Astellas, precision tubes maker Schmitter (Ireland) Ltd. and specialist bolts manufacturer Simpson Strongtie/Liebig have small plants in the town.
Killorglin stands on a hill to the south of Castlemaine Harbour headwaters, on the famous salmon fishing River Laune.
The king of Puck Fair, a chosen mountain goat is borne in triumph and enthroned for two days. Why is a goat the king of the fair? Local stories tell that a stampeding herd of mountain goats warned the locals of the invasion by the Cromwellian forces! The festival has been welcoming visitors from around the world to join in the festivities for many a year. The festival is held each year from the 10-12 of August. The three days were named The Gathering Day (a horse fair), The Fair Day (a cattle fair) and The Scattering Day. River Laune: Killorglin is situated on the river Laune, an excellent salmon fishing river. The Southern Fisheries Board have organised joint development programs with local boards to make the rivers and lakes more accessible to Anglers. The Fishery boards also stock a number of lakes to ensure a successful days fishing. The river Laune boasts a run of Salmon and the river also drains the
largest of the Killarney Lakes which is known for its brown trout. Please note a state license is always necessary for salmon angling. Licenses and permits are available from Regional Fisheries Boards, license distributors, tackle shops, hotels and guest houses throughout the county.
Two monuments are worth visiting in the area. The first was erected to Townsend Blennerhasset, a member of the Kerry Militia, who was drowned in 1867 while rescuing a friend.
The second is located at Ballykissane pier, where three Irish Volunteers were drowned when they took a wrong turn as they were on their way to Cahirsiveen to attempt to make wireless contact with Roger Casement when he came ashore at Banna from a German U-boat. Dromavalla The ruins of this old church still remain standing and shows that sections were built at different times. The church may have been erected by the Audustine Friars from Killagha Abbey in nearby Milltown.
The first castle built on this site may have been in 1587 shortly after Jenkin Conway was granted Killorglin Manor by Queen Elizabeth I. By 1600 it was burned to the ground by the MacCarthys, the now ruined tower house was built by the successors the Blennerhassetts.
A stretch of safe and sandy beach which can be enjoyed by both swimmers and walkers alike is convenient to Killorglin town.